- Sign Your Name: “Dear Congress, Support National Service!”
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Request for Information – June 28 Deadline
- 2017 Students Serving Washington Awards Winners!
- Service Opportunity! Join WACC as the next College Access Corps Team Leader!
- Whitman Student Engagement Center Doing Great Work!
Monthly Archives: May 2016
Recently I was a guest at Campus Compact’s Summit of Presidents and Chancellors to introduce Carrie Hessler-Radelet, Director of the Peace Corps. I appreciated the opportunity to be part of an event at the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate that honors Senator Kennedy. He was the author of so much progressive legislation, and his legislative and political skills are sorely missed, more now than ever. He was the driving force behind the legislation in 1993 that created AmeriCorps and the reauthorized legislation that President Obama signed in 2009 is named the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act. The signing ceremony was one of Senator Kennedy’s last public appearances. As the founding president of Campus Compact, the 30th anniversary is a wonderful opportunity for reflection on the organization and movement’s history. The mid-80s was a political environment that stressed private interest over public good. At the same time there was a group of university leaders for whom…